We admit it, although we love to try new things, we are creatures of habit. There are at least 5 things we do at Disney World every time we are there.
1) Meet our favorite characters OK, I admit it. Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, a few Princesses and a Fairy (for good measure) are all required stops on our travels. I am a giant kid at heart and hugging my fuzzy childhood heroes makes my day. It does not matter how old I get, this is not going to change…at least, I hope it never does.
Even better, there are always those moments at Disney World where you see a child who sees their hero for the first time. Their little upturned angelic face staring at that character like they are their entire world. It truly can be a priceless moment. If that child is in your family, grab that precious picture quick so you can remember that look on their face forever. If that child belongs to another family so don’t stare too long or it gets creepy. This advice counts double if the child starts to cry.
2) See all of the nighttime shows Some people figure that if they have seen one fireworks show, they have seen them all. For us, that just isn’t true. We make a point of seeing Wishes in the Magic Kingdom, Illuminations in Epcot and Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios on every trip no matter what. If possible, we see Wishes twice. Each show has its own unique glow and purpose although sometimes I think the purpose of all of them is to make me cry.
Wishes is just the most spectacular show of all times and every time I visit, there is some new portion to the show since the last time I was there. Even better during the holiday season when the castle is dripping in those gorgeous icicle lights.
Illuminations gives me a feeling of peace every time I see it. Like everything is all right with the world. I mean, everything is not all right with the world (all those pesky wars and famine, not to mention global warming) but for a few minutes, it seems like it is.
Fantasmic is the chance to see Mickey defeat his nightmares and a dragon! Who doesn’t want to see that?
3) Have our favorite treats For me, that means popcorn on Main Street. Yes….before you say it….I know I can have popcorn at home but IT-JUST-ISN’T-THE-SAME!!!!! There is something that just tastes right about walking into the Magic Kingdom and smelling that freshly popped popcorn that means I have arrived.
4) Spend time at our resort We spend so much time choosing just the right resort that I figure we ought to at least spend some time there on our trip. There are so many overlooked features of resorts that get overlooked, because, well, there are those 4 giant theme parks that are calling to you with their smells of popcorn. (did I mention that I love popcorn?) Still, spending some time in the resort is on our list now for every trip. If nothing else, some time in the hot tub soothes all of those muscles to allow me to walk more in the parks.
5) Add to my Disney collection Like many of you, I suspect, I have a small addiction to collecting Disney memorabilia. I try to limit it to Christmas tree ornaments (small to fit in my suitcase), pressed pennies (really small to take back home and not terribly expensive) and Disney Pins (also not terribly large but always seem to get tagged by security in the airport for additional screening). I could spend hours, (alright maybe days and possibly weeks) adding pennies, pins and ornaments to my collection. I always seem to come across ones that I don’t have at home. Darn Disney and their constantly coming out with new products….how on earth will my collection every become complete?
What are the things you just have to do at Disney World every time? We would love to hear from you!